Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob Kiz Rob Kiz is offline

Default Drywall Over Steel Basement Reinforcement Studs

On Jul 30, 10:56*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Rob Kiz wrote:
Greetings,

I just had my basement walls reinforced with steel beams installed
every 36 inches on average. I had to tear the drywall down for the
finished portion of the basement and am now trying to figure out the
best way to redo the drywall.

I see two options: One would involve a combination of glueing the
drywall directly to the metal studs and glueing several 2x4's
horizontally between each pair of studs to screw the drywall to.

The other option would be to build small rectangular frames out of
2x4's and install them between the metal studs. This would be
difficult since there are few floor joists to attach to above since
that is where the metal studs are attached. Also, the bottom of the
metal studs are flanged and I'd have to work around this.

Would the glue idea work? Is there another way?

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions,

Rob

Hmm,
Sounds like you are refering to metal studs not beam? 36" OC spacing is
odd? If it is indeed stud you can directly screw down drywall onto the
metal stud.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry I wasn't clear. These are not metal studs that would be spaced
at 16" intervals. I am referring to engineered steel beams used to
reinforce a bulging basement wall.