Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won'tfall off)?

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
J Burns wrote:
TimR wrote:

I'd use a hot glue gun. Put a quick dab of glue on the shelf, stick
the can down, done. Secure, but easily removable.

Gorilla Glue also seems to be removable.

Hey, THAT'S scary! "REMOVABLE"? Geez, I've been RELYING on that
stuff sticking FOREVER!

I've found it to be strong, but soft enough to cut loose.

It sets up in a couple of hours.

Long ago, I spent a dollar or two on a screwdriver magnetizer at Radio
Shack. That way I can magnetize my favorite screwdrivers when needed.

Too bad, the Radio Shack of long ago has no resemblance to the Radio
Shack of today! Man, I have this big (analog, of course) VOM that
I bought whata, 40 years ago, 50?, and it still works PERFECTABLY today.

No longer possible.

----

With luck, they'll still sell something like that.

But a lot cheaper to use a strong refrig-magnet, to either
temporarily or permanently magnetize the screwdriver.

Thanks!

David

It looks as if Ace Hardware has the same item for $2, and they'll ship
it to you for another $3.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magneti.../dp/B0000DINHI

To magnetize a screwdriver, you need one pole near the tip and the other
pole up the shaft. I think a bar or horseshoe magnet would work but not
a refrigerator magnet.

The device I purchased doesn't have much of an external magnetic field,
so it minds its own business in my toolbox until I need it.

Occasionally, magnetism in a screwdriver is a nuisance. I have used the
tool to demagnetize, but laying a screwdriver on a transformer is
probably more effective.