Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won'tfall off)?

In article ,
Tony wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 29, 11:27 pm, (David Combs) wrote:
I use tin cans (eg goya beans) for storing pencils and pens of
one kind or another. But sometimes it wall fall off the shelf
it sits on (or I knock it off), and the pencils end up all over
the floor.

So, I decided to screw-down the cans:

I drilled a hoile in the bottom of each one, and then
drilled a starter-hole in the (cheap) wood shelf, one
per hole.

Now I get the proper wood screw, reach inside the can,
stick it through the bottom hole, and into the starter
hole, and screw down the can. SIMPLE!

Not so simple!

1: My hand is too big to reach into the can.
2: With needle-nose pliers, I manage to get
the screw through the hole (can held up in the air),
but am unable to line up the screw with the starter-hole.

Also, when sliding the can around, to find starter hole,
the screw will flip out of the hole in the can.

Question: how should I proceed?

Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but
I don't.

Or, unbend a paper-clip, stick it through the hole,
then with the can held an inch or two above the
wood (so I can see the starter-hole), stick the
protruding end into the hole, then try to set the
can down, and then someohow stick the screw into
the double-hole -- but when I try the screwdriver
on it, it flips out of the hole.

What to do? Epoxy it to the screwdriver (joke)?

What would YOU do?

Thanks!

David

Hire someone to hold the can.

And rent a longer screwdriver!

Wrong. I need a thiner (thinner? How about "narrower"?) hand.

David