Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default AC low freon?

On Jul 30, 3:25*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Colbyt wrote:

Most likely it has failed at the evap coil. *The bad news is that new
replacement evap coils are no longer legally sold so you get screwed
into buying a whole new system. Who knows, you might get lucky and it
is leaking at a screwed connection.

I think you may be confused. In most places it is illegal for a scrap
dealer to buy a used evaporator coil - because the thieves have been
chopping them loose to sell for scrap - but a homeowner can still buy a
new one.

Man, at least this one, *should always have one cup of coffee before posting
anything!

You can still buy replacement *evap coils. *It is the condenser units you
can not buy.

Sounds like the OP won the lottery if that is the only leak in the system..
I have experienced to evap coil failures on two 1995 systems about 2 years
apart.

Also replaced the evap coil in my 1996 Nissan twice now. *I am of the
opinion that the evap coil making process *has gone way downhill in the last
20 years.

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

I hope its the only leak, its a big one though, I hope I end up lucky
or its no Ac for the rest of the year.