Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default AC low freon?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Colbyt wrote:

Most likely it has failed at the evap coil. The bad news is that new
replacement evap coils are no longer legally sold so you get screwed
into buying a whole new system. Who knows, you might get lucky and it
is leaking at a screwed connection.

I think you may be confused. In most places it is illegal for a scrap
dealer to buy a used evaporator coil - because the thieves have been
chopping them loose to sell for scrap - but a homeowner can still buy a
new one.

Man, at least this one, should always have one cup of coffee before posting
anything!

You can still buy replacement evap coils. It is the condenser units you
can not buy.

Sounds like the OP won the lottery if that is the only leak in the system.
I have experienced to evap coil failures on two 1995 systems about 2 years
apart.

Also replaced the evap coil in my 1996 Nissan twice now. I am of the
opinion that the evap coil making process has gone way downhill in the last
20 years.

--
Colbyt