Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default AC low freon?

On Jul 30, 9:58*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 30, 10:50*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Colbyt wrote:

Most likely it has failed at the evap coil. *The bad news is that new
replacement evap coils are no longer legally sold so you get screwed
into buying a whole new system. Who knows, you might get lucky and it
is leaking at a screwed connection.

I think you may be confused. In most places it is illegal for a scrap dealer
to buy a used evaporator coil - because the thieves have been chopping them
loose to sell for scrap - but a homeowner can still buy a new one.

That does make more sense.

In any case find the leak if possible first. *If they can't find it,
charge the system and see how long it lasts. *Charging once a year may
fit better with your situation if you need to get by for a few more
years. *It is normally a small amount of loss to cause the evap temps
to drop below freezing, sometimes just a few ounces. *Beyond that the
system stops cooling completely.

I got lucky a few minutes ago, the tech came out fast, and a big leak
was found on the copper elbow on a pipe comming out at the top of the
compressor, so a guy is comming back to braise it. Even more lucky
since he wanted 300$ to use his sniffer to do a leak test, I heard it
comming out and first try hit the leak with my finger, its a big leak
and I saw vapor. But he said they will replace the pipe, why cant they
remove and clean and reuse what is there? 300 for a leak test? I bet
it will be, hope no more than 500 for a brazing and refill, he said
the system must be evacuated to braise it, so does 500 seem about the
price they will charge, maybe I should call for a price first. Well at
least its not looking like a new unit which would have to be next
year, and im lucky since its 72 out, the coolest day in a over a month