Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jul 30, 10:36*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's funny, you read 13 replies and didn't notice that I suggested
that in the 8th reply.

My bad. I confess to skimming 13 replies, and kept seeing "buy the
magnetic", "scotch tape" and "velcro."

I retract my suggestion, and second DD's suggestion.

Actually, I'd prefer that you second my first suggestion.

All right Abbott.

A small piece of tape holding the screw to the driver allows for the
positioning of any screw at any angle, even straight down - no
balancing required.

Sure, you need an extra piece of "equipment" (tape) but that's a trick
I've been using since my days as an Electronics Tech in the USCG many
(many) years ago.

The screwdrivers with the claws work pretty good too, but the tape
allows for access to much smaller areas.

I used to have a split-blade for starting slotted screws, and it worked
very well. But I've given up slotted heads. I use a lot more machine
screws than anything else, and prefer allen drive for socket head or
button head. Flat heads I stick with phillips because the hex drive is
too damn small on those and tends to strip out.

I don't have a magnetic screwdriver but I stick a magnet on the shaft of
any old driver to make it magnetic long enough to start a screw when
needed.