Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx Fredxx is offline

Default Hanging a radiator on a studded wall

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/07/2010 13:43, Fredxx wrote:
How would the people here do this? What fixings and methods?

I'm assuming that the studs are not going to line-up with any brackets.
I'm
hoping that the plasterboard is going to be the 1/2" variety.

What sized rad?

Are you constricted in position - or would 6" either way along a wall make
no difference?

Assuming you can be a bit flexible on position, then find the studs and
see if they match the bracket positions. If they do, job sorted. If not
one end is easy, and you need to think about what to do at the other end.

A small ish rad (i.e. no more than 4' long) would be secure enough screwed
to a stud at one end and on cavity wall anchors at the other. For a big
heavy rad, then cut out a lump of plasterboard and insert a couple of
noggings (4x2, long face vertical) in the right place to catch the screws
from the brackets. Replace plasterboard cutout and screw back, fill round
the edge to cover the cut (it will be hidden behind a rad anyway!)

Many thanks.

I'm a pessimist and its a 2ft wide radiator which needs to be centred on an
end wall.

The worst case scenario I am expecting is a stud bang in the middle of both
brackets!! I really don't fancy putting in 2 sets of noggings.