Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default How to screw a tin-can (for pencils) to wood surface (so won't fall off)?

(David Combs) wrote:

I use tin cans (eg goya beans) for storing pencils and pens of
one kind or another. But sometimes it wall fall off the shelf
it sits on (or I knock it off), and the pencils end up all over
the floor.

-snip-
Would be nice to have a maagnetic screwdriver -- but
I don't.

$20 shouldn't break the bank- I'd buy a magnetic electric
screwdriver-- or magnetize a screwdriver.
-snip-
What would YOU do?

40 years ago I would have farted around for hours like you're doing--
and frustrated the hell out of myself in the process.

Now, if I was in your situation, I'd wait until the next time I'm in a
department, hardware, or big-box store and buy myself the right tool
for the job. Depending on how I felt that day it might be a $100
screwdriver set with a gazillion fittings to drive everything from
screws to nuts-- or a $1 magnet to magnetize my old beat up
screwdriver.

if I was in a rush, I might try a little beeswax on the head of the
screwdriver to see if it would hold the screw. [or slap a refrigerator
magnet on the screwdriver, near the tip. That might magnetize it
enough to hold a screw]

Jim