Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default [time sensitive] drilling through tile

"Uno" wrote in message
My client has prospective in-laws coming in on Saturday, and I've got a
hot date by 6 pm Friday at the latest, so I've got to get squared away on
this within 12 hours or so.

I have to drill through bathroom tile so as to be able to fasten one of
those crescent shower curtain deals.

I was thinking I would drill a small pilot hole, then come after with the
rotary drill and a hammer drill bit sans hammer. I was thinking the bits
that I tend to have around would be perfect forthis, as they would
otherwise be used for tap-cons.

My client has said that there is backerboard behind. Instead of trying to
throw in an anchor, I would bring on a 3/32, and **** on it, use my own
screws. Their's aren't even ferromagnetic.

All I gotta do is get two screws fastened level--up and down, one inch
apart, on either side.

How about going into the grout instead?

Anyways, your experience and comments are appreciated.
--
Uno

I'd use 3/16 carbide bit and plastic anchors. I'd also use SS screws. Hold
the non hammer drill real steady on the tile, the glaze is very slippery.
Once through the glaze, use the hammer, but only press lightly so the tile
doesn't chip, and before you even start, do the tile prayer.