Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Paste[_2_] David Paste[_2_] is offline

Default Black and Decker jigsaw with Superlok feature.

On 29 July, 01:18, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

Silly question I'm sure, but you are using blades with the right holder
profile?

Silly questions are better than silly mistakes! This was one of the
first things I checked as I couldn't quite understand how the clamping
mechanism could exert enough force on the blade to keep it put. After
consulting with the owners manual, and the B&D internet support pages,
I decided that the clamping mechanism MUST be full of oil or
something, so perhaps this needed to be cleaned. Which I duly did.

http://i21.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/cf/92/66f0_1.JPG

is a photo of the beast (but mine has an orange plastic lever).
Needless to say, the effort was in vain.

I've seen several different shape schemes for different
manufacturers, and in the past, I've found that some of the 'universals'
that you can buy in the sheds, are not a terribly good fit. FWIW, although
the B&D machine that I had (quite an expensive variable speed job with
scroller head) was an absolute piece of **** in just about every respect,
one of the few things that I *can* say was alright about it, was the quick
release blade retaining system. I don't know about yours not holding a
blade, mine wouldn't hold a bloody line in cardboard, let alone any other
material. The Bosch that it has been recently replaced with, is an absolute
dream to use. Last weekend, I was fitting some skirting to my conservatory.
I couldn't be fagged to get the compound mitre saw out to cut the 62 deg
angles for going around the octagon shaped bit, so I just set the angle on
the Bosch, drew a straight line across the back of the board, and cut. Every
one was absolutely dead straight down the line, and had the proper angle on
it. Compared to the B&D, this machine has so far been an absolute pleasure
to use on every job I've employed it on ... * *d;~}

Go on then... what model is it? I was in Pee & Spew this afternoon,
checking out the jigsaws - there was a Bosch model with a quick
release system that operated in a different way to the B&D system and
that seemed to be a very good option - there is a positive catch to
this, not just a wishful thinking clamp. SDS I think.