Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Milling a deep pocket, chip clearance

Ignoramus6705 wrote:

Your R2E4 is not fully enclosed, right? How badly does the coolant
splash around? How much of a mess?

It depends on surface speed of the cutter. I have a throttling valve
where the hose connects to the LocLine.
I can set the flow so it jets where I want it, without climbing the
cutter up to the spindle. If you set it right, you need no guard at
all, and I often with this way. Especially with 1/8" solid carbide
cutters at 2800 RPM (Yeah, I know I'm running them too slow, but that is
the max speed without over-revving the motor on this 1J machine) there
is no splashing at all. When I recently used a 3" slitting saw, I put
the guards on, my setup only takes about 2 minutes to install.

Jon