Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Poison ivy

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 28, 10:34 am, "
wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jul 27, 10:22 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished? Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. Thank
you.
Cheryl
As an aside, I just found an excellent way to relieve the itching from
Poison Ivy, having recently come in contact with some.
Use a blow dryer. Blow dry the area for a minute or so at the highest
heat you can stand - just don't burn your skin. The itching will get
really intense and then suddenly disappear.
Go on, Google it and see. People rave about it and now I do too.
It has something to do with both drying out the oozing from the rash
as well as fooling the nerves with the heat. I "blew dry" the rash and
the itching would go away for 6 - 8 hours at a time.

I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got really bad
or the bites were numerous....I think the heat just increases the
circulation, and thus the antibody/immune reaction and gets it over with
more quickly. Itching would increase for a little bit, in the warm
bath, but then be essentially gone by the time I finished. Careful with
that hair dryer...if the itching is bad enough, may not feel skin burning.

Hot shower, along with careful stretching exercise, got rid of really
nasty tendonitis of shoulder...after trying Rx anti-inflammatory that
made my stomach hurt. Didn't want bleeding ulcer, so quit those.- Hide quoted text -

"I've used hot baths for mosquito bites when the itching got
really bad or the bites were numerous"

Oh, come on...be honest.

You just needed an excuse to luxuriate in a long hot bubble bath to
relieve the stress of the day.

"Sorry darling, but my mosquito bites are really itchy. I need to take
a long, hot bath. By the way, could you bring me a glass of wine?"

;-)

I'm fair skinned and rather sensitive, so when I have a bunch of skeeter
bites, I don't need any further irritation....would go for the wine,
though )