Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman Replacement Tools - Used?

On Jul 28, 1:46*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in message

It's been a while since I traded in a Craftsman tool under the
lifetime warranty, so maybe I just don't remember this happening last
time.

I turned in a ratchet handle and 3 Phillips screwdrivers. The
replacement screwdrivers were new off the shelf but the ratchet handle
was a different story.

Hanging on the wall inside the cashier's area was quite a large number
of ratchet handles, open-end and box-end wrenches and a few other hand
tools, all with yellow stickers on the handle.

The cashier handed me a ratchet handle from behind the counter and
said "This is still covered by the lifetime warranty."

The ratchet handle looked "new" (clean?) but had a few dings in the
handle section. The yellow sticker said "Replacement Tool" oe
something like that.

I assume that the tools behind the counter are probably a combination
of scratch and dent items from their inventory along with some
customer returns that can't be sold as new.

Is this something new or has it always been this way? Just curious...

I recently turned in a couple Craftsman hand-tools and had them attempt this
nonsense. It was hot, I was tired (and delayed in finishing the task-at-hand
because the rachet and socket had failed), and as the "kid" handed me the
replacements from under the cash register, I tiredly said, "Get a manager.."
He pulled the right tools without so much as a second look.

My guess is that a significant number of hand tools are failing more
frequently and their flagship Craftsman brand is hemorrhaging.

The Ranger

sears no longer owns craftsman tools sears is just a license.

i expect sears to disappear within a few years, they used to be
diverse into allstate insurance, coldwell banker real estate bankinbg
etc.

so when retail took a dump they still survived.

then they decided 100% retail, if the economic dump continues they
wouldnt heck they lost money over last holiday selling season.

kenore is being shopped around, pretty soon there will be no reason to
go to sears, their brands will be at home depot