Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Poison ivy

On Jul 27, 9:22*pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or should
you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished? *Welders
gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can reuse them. *Thank
you.

Cheryl

Soap and water dissolve and remove the oil that causes the irritation,
if its on gloves then its probably on your pants and shoes as brushing
into a plant releases the plants oil, just wash everything. The palms
of your hands have thick skin and are the least supceptable part of
your body to Urishiol oil, and if your wash your hands within an a
half hour or so nothing should happen. Welders gloves are a bit
overkill as light duty gloves will work, but just throw them in a
bucket of water with dish washing detergent. The oils remain active
for something like 6++ months so wash it off. Google about it for more
specific informaton. Once I pulled doen vines and burnt them, didnt
shower and didnt know I was breathing Poison ivy burning, I had about
250 welts on each arm, was sick for at least 6 months from breathing
the smoke, and I spread it over my body from not washing. I pull it
mistakenly now and notice it poison ivy to late, I just wash off my
hands with a hose and some soap now and no problem. The important
thing is removal of the oil within about 1/2 hour and not touching any
other part of your body.