Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Poison ivy

Cheryl wrote:
Can you treat heavy duty welders gloves to kill poison ivy residue or
should you just throw them out when the work to clear it is finished?
Welders gloves might be overkill but I just want to know if I can
reuse them. Thank you.

Urushiol cannot be deactivated by normal means, and is very persistent. The
only solution is to remove it with detergents, but I do not know if these
would work with leather. More importantly, if you have ever had a reaction
to the resin in poison ivy, you would know that the only answer is, "no,
throw them away".

In other words, if you told me I had to pay you $50 or I "might" get contact
dermatitis, you would have $50.

Jon