Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

In software development, they call what I am doing "unit testing"--and
it pays good dividends. It is very difficult to get students to do it,
which, in the big picture, is ridiculous. It makes just as much sense
in my current circumstances which I think are completely analogous.
Some positive reinforcement from the circuits is nice too! : )

I work for a software development company Bill, so I well understand unit
testing. Since this is your first wiring attempt, it's understandable that
you want to take very small steps. Be encouraged though, that what you are
doing is common work done by lots of people every day, and you can justify
taking comfort in taking bigger steps. I'd suggest you move ahead and wire
in all of the outlets, energize the circuits, and use your tester to
validate them after you energize them. That might make a more analogous
unit test. The approach you are taking might be more analagous to testing
every line of code as it's written.

Yes. Remember too, that my first unit test--that off energizing the
subpanel without any circuits, found a "major bug" (clamp had created a
short-circuit). The advantage of finding it at that point was saved
significant development time.

Bill