Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_12_] Josepi[_12_] is offline

Default Shop Wall and Electric

Be more sure to plug the leads into the right sockets on the meter, no
matter what scale you use!

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
Holding volt meter leads on power pins won't arc.

The current is measured in micro-amps. The voltage will bite you if you
touch them - because you are a low resistance to current flow.

If you have bare wires - you can make them a bit longer and push the wires
into the back of a socket. You can cut them off if wanted. Or cheaper
you just screw a lead under each screw. Then the socket lasts longer.

A volt meter draws very low current. It is sampled. No arcing occurs.

220 volt is just higher voltage. maybe 220 micro-amps if it has 1Meg/volt
so it is just fine.

JUST BE SURE TO USE THE AC VOLTAGE scale. AC V

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/25/2010 10:51 PM, Bill wrote:
I would like to test out the first outlet on each of the new circuits I
added
before I install insulation and drywall. I tested the
first one by actually installing an outlet, but I see little point in
wasting time/wire.

I was considering:

1) Taping the wires to my outlet tester with electrical tape and then
flipping
the circuit breaker on (in anticipation of a green light from the outlet
tester)

2) Holding the leads from my multi-meter to the ends of the wires. I MIGHT
be
brave enough to do this if it was explained to me why I don't have to be
concerned about arc'ing.

It seems there is "more that could go wrong" in (2). What do you think?
BTW, I also have 220v wiring to test. I understand the state the
potentials of the 3 pairs of the 3 wires should have, I just wish to
proceed in
a safe manner (without installing the outlet if possible).

Bill