Posted to alt.home.repair
Marilyn & Bob[_2_] Marilyn & Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Tenants' refrigerator problem

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message
Our upstairs tenants (two family house, we live downstairs) thought that
their refrigerator was too warm, so they set both the freezer and
refrigerator to maximum cold. They now say that both areas are much too
warm. This is a 12 year old basic frostfree top-freezer Hotpoint
refrigerator.

I told them to set both freezer and refrigerator controls to "normal" and
to wait 24 hours. However, if this does not solve the problem, is there
anything I should try before just replacing the refrigerator? At 12
years old (although ours is 24 years old) I don't think it's worth a
professional repair; nor do I want to spend a long time on a fix as our
tenants deserve working appliances. On the other hand, I don't want to
throw things out if there could be a reasonable fix especially because
delivery is an issue (to get to the second floor, the refrigerator will
have to be turned horizontal and lifted over the banister on the second
floor landing).
--
Peace,
BobJ

Others have offered good advice but he are a couple of points to keep in
mind.

Many modern units do not have a defrost timer like mentioned. They rely
on a different system. I don't recall what it is called.

Sometimes due to operator error even a frost free unit can form an ice
blockage and restrict the airflow. This can happen when the unit is set
too cold or some food restricts the airflow from the freezer to fridge.
Remove food, turn off unit, open the door and allow plenty of time for it
all to melt. Faster results can be obtained by removing covers and using a
hair dryer or heat gun on the lowest setting.

Turn unit back on a check to make sure that all the little fans are moving
air.

--
Colbyt

Thanks all. I'll follow your suggestions. Just one more question.
Assuming these things don't fix the problem and I need to purchase a new
refrigerator, I assume that there is no problem in having the new
refrigerator in a horizontal position for the 30 seconds to one minute it
takes to lift it over the banister. I assume we will plug it in about 5-10
minutes after that maneuver.
--
Peace,
BobJ