Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (2): A/C ~10Kbtu/hr -- tries 10 or 20 times before compressorturns on.

On Jul 26, 12:03*am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-
wrote:
On 7/25/2010 3:51 PM, David Combs wrote:

A/C keeps trying (you can hear it), MANY times, eg 10, sometimes
maybe even 20, before you hear the compressor finally turn on.

MAYBE it's simply because it's so hot here (10mi north of NYC)
that everyone's running their own AC's, that the voltage is down?

(Once I checked with one or several VOM's -- seemed ok to me.
But I'll try again after posting this, just to get a general
discussion going.)

How low should the voltage get to cause such a try-try-try problem?

Also, in the last "n" years, have the AC manufaacturers tried
to build around the "everyone's running their AC's and voltage
is a bit (a tad) low"?

If so, about when did that change take place?

THANKS!

David

Oh crap, I just realized you are talking about a window unit!
You can still install a kick-start, start assist device in the
window unit. They are available for window units too. Another
thing that's very important for a window AC is the quality of
the electrical connections, the shape the plug and receptacle
are in. Look closely at the plug and make sure it's not toasted.
The receptacle can be a bit weak too from overheating which will
result in a voltage drop when it's under load.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

How can you tell he's talking about a window unit?