Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C ~10Kbtu/hr -- tries 10 or 20 times before compressor turns on.

Typically 10% or so voltage drop is too much. Try a different socket,
might have to go and buy a good electric socket. May also help to wire
brush the terminals on the plug. If you're electrically minded, you
can also check the herm side of the dual capacitor, and see if it's
got enough farads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Combs" wrote in message
A/C keeps trying (you can hear it), MANY times, eg 10, sometimes
maybe even 20, before you hear the compressor finally turn on.

MAYBE it's simply because it's so hot here (10mi north of NYC)
that everyone's running their own AC's, that the voltage is down?

(Once I checked with one or several VOM's -- seemed ok to me.
But I'll try again after posting this, just to get a general
discussion going.)

How low should the voltage get to cause such a try-try-try problem?

Also, in the last "n" years, have the AC manufaacturers tried
to build around the "everyone's running their AC's and voltage
is a bit (a tad) low"?

If so, about when did that change take place?

THANKS!

David