Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Washing machine leaking - info please

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two quarts
of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input hoses. So, I
suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there (and
even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any problem
with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

You can tip it some with no damage, but that may not help.

Unless the design has changed, the front of the washer comes off easily. A
couple of screws on the bottom of the panel and pull the bottom out and it
will unhook on the top. That allows you to see t he pump and the
connections to the pump.

Ask the teenager next door to remove the screws for you. I have a similar
problem getting down there these days.

I had a similar leak on an old Maytag TL washer and it had nothing to do
with the drain. What I found was that there was a rubber fill nozzle
that had deteriorated and failed, and as a result *most* of the fill
water was going into the tub, but a small stream was running down on the
outside of the tub to the floor. It took about 5 minutes to improvise a
replacement which has been working fine for years now.