Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine leaking - info please

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two quarts
of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input hoses. So, I
suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there (and
even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any problem
with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

You can tip it some with no damage, but that may not help.

Unless the design has changed, the front of the washer comes off easily. A
couple of screws on the bottom of the panel and pull the bottom out and it
will unhook on the top. That allows you to see t he pump and the
connections to the pump.

Ask the teenager next door to remove the screws for you. I have a similar
problem getting down there these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 6:50*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. * *Leak is not coming from input
hoses. *So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

Since the front panel comes off...you could turn it side-ways. (and
expect a lot of water to drain out)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 6:50*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. * *Leak is not coming from input
hoses. *So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

I had mine overfill, an easy experiment is set it to not fill full for
a few loads too see if its comming out the top. I couldnt see it
leaking but filling it less has stopped my leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 7:50*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. * *Leak is not coming from input
hoses. *So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

Normally on most the front removes. It's usually some sort of trick
to it like slipping a screwdriver in somewhere to open clips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two quarts
of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input hoses. So, I
suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there (and
even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any problem
with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

As suggested, you can try finding the panel to take off, or just take off
the hoses, unplug it, pull it out a bit, and tilt it back 45 degrees, being
sure to put a safety board in there. If you can get a look at the
underneath, the leak is usually obvious.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input
hoses. So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

If it's one of the older Maytags then here ya go, if it's different
you should be able to find some or all the information you need at a
website like this.
http://www.applianceaid.com/slidemayw.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input
hoses. So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

We had an old Maytag, much older than yours, that began to leak. The
problem was rusted out seams in the upper part of the tub. Only when
full or splashing a lot did it leak. Since replaced.

Time to make friends with someone who has younger back and knees )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Time to make friends with someone who has younger back and knees )

She sounds interesting ......................

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob-tx wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input
hoses. So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

My dad used to drill a hole in it then take the jig saw with a hack saw
blade and cut a big hole in it to work on it.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin--
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob-tx" wrote:

Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from input
hoses. So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

Two quarts is more than I would expect from bad drain hose routing, but
it's the easiest thing to check. Make sure the drain hose has a service
loop that extends above the level of the tub. My jury rigged hose
support has come loose a few times and left me with a fair amount of
water on the floor.

Also on my washer, I can see the drain hose connection point just by
looking down behind the washer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar leak on an old Maytag TL washer and it had nothing to do
with the drain. What I found was that there was a rubber fill nozzle
that had deteriorated and failed, and as a result *most* of the fill
water was going into the tub, but a small stream was running down on the
outside of the tub to the floor. It took about 5 minutes to improvise a
replacement which has been working fine for years now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 12:32*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Pete, I also had the same problem and ended up buying the part. (it
was fairly cheap)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 25, 6:50*am, "Bob-tx" wrote:
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about two
quarts of water per wash load. * *Leak is not coming from input
hoses. *So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is any
problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

The older Maytags had a backflow preventer (a rubber thingine inside a
tube) over the edge of the tub that would go bad every 10 years or so
and dribble a little water out while filling., That may be the
problem here.

Also, on the older Maytags you could pull off the front of the machine
by removing two screws near the bottom of the front panel. Servicing
those machines was a breeze compared to others I've worked on. Don't
know if the newer machines are the same (the old machines just keep
working, so I don't find out).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine leaking - THANKS

"Bob-tx" wrote in message
Have a 10 year old Maytag top load washer that is leaking about
two quarts of water per wash load. Leak is not coming from
input hoses. So, I suspect a problem where the drain hose
attaches.

At my age, it is hard to lay down on the floor to look under there
(and even harder to get back up), so I am wondering if there is
any problem with tipping the washer over on its side or tummy.

Advice appreciated - thanks.

Bob-tx

Thanks for all the info, most seems quite helpful. Especially
appreciate the web site with the slide instructions.

Haven't done anything, but will take a look this morning.

Hey, Thanks again to all.

Bob-tx

Leaking washing machine Richard UK diy 5 March 13th 08 07:26 PM
washing machine leaking when filling [email protected] UK diy 11 January 24th 08 09:13 PM
Leaking Washing Machine George Home Repair 1 July 4th 06 06:42 PM
leaking washing machine ron UK diy 3 July 9th 04 04:19 PM
Leaking Washing Machine Drum Phil Young UK diy 10 October 7th 03 05:05 PM