Posted to alt.home.repair
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 08:54:47 -0500, dpb wrote:
Assuming the adapter is compliant it isn't...

You seem to understand the situation the best.

The adapter is a standard metal box with the NEMA-6-20R and a three-inch
long strain relief for the dryer cord securely attached to the metal box.

The only problem I had was the dryer cord had three brass "circles" as the
connection point but the NEMA-6-20R had screws which didn't expect to be
taken out to accomodate circular connections. The last few threads removing
the screws "broke" something, as the screws are clearly designed to stay
in.

When I removed the three screws (two brass for the black wires and one
green-painted steel for the ground/neutral wire), it was hard to get them
back in.

I wondered if it was the male screw or the female hole that "stripped" when
these type of stay-in screws are removed. I guessed it was the female part
that stripped, so I cleaned it up with an 8x20 tap and guess what.

The screws went right in.

The DESIGN of these things is amazing. What is the reason for the screws
being designed not to come all the way out. And, did I compromise something
by cleaning up whatever it was that strips when you do remove the screws?