Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Making a ZCI for tablesaw

On Jul 23, 4:03*pm, Bruce wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:16:07 -0600, MIKE- wrote
(in article ):

On 7/19/10 8:53 PM, wrote:
You know, sometimes the most simplest thing turns into
analysis paralysis.

Want to *make ZCI insert for my JWTS-10 Jet. I bought a ZCI some
time ago and I measured the thickness - 3/8". I measured the one
on the JET, same and just for fun, I measured from the leveling
flange to the top of the saw 3/8".

To me, it sounds like 1) another router set up after I
already mount the flush bit to trim the blank 2) more time.

Why wouldn't you just use 3/8" ply or phenolic to make
a ZCI, trim it, drill for leveling screws and be done? I just
don't know why 1/2 material would be that much better?

It is easy and yes, you're thinking too much. Been there and was amazed
at how easy it was, after I finally just did it instead of planning it.

I used quality 3/4 Finnish birch plywood, then used a planer to get it
down to pefect thickness.
http://picasaweb.google.com/mikeadid...earanceInsert#

Check out this video...

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/146/...learance-dado-
insert

/
It's a pretty good technique.

I used 1/2" oak (Unisaw). 3/8" would have been a bit too thin, The 1/2"
needed only a few turns of leveling screws protruding from the bottom to sit
flush. *I'm using a piece of 1/2" BB ply right now to see if it last longer
than the oak (based on some past posts here) and so far so good!

Wouldn't solid warp? I wouldn't think hardwood would be a good choice
in any case.