Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Bill Murphy Bill Murphy is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:21:22 -0700, Roy wrote:
"It is ILLEGAL to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of
hazardous waste in your personal vehicle."

Stating a law without a reference isn't useful in this particular case.

While I'm sure waste contaminated gasoline would be considered a hazardous
waste (and a flammable liquid at the same time), I doubt usable gasoline is
considered hazardous waste, per se, in most states.

But you never know. For example, it's illegal in California to use brass
plumbing that has ANY lead in it (yet all other 49 states seem to have no
problem with that).

As another example, it's illegal in California to use chlorinated brake
cleaners; while almost ever other state has no problem with that.

My point is that laws clearly vary by state:
- It's illegal in some states to get out of your car to refuel or pay
- It's illegal in some states to put a GPS in the middle of the windshield
- It's illegal in some states to use a radar detector
- It's illegal in some states to get your OBDII DTC codes scanned for free
etc.

Since laws involving storage and transportation of gasoline are almost
certain to vary among the states, a specific California law is what I'm
looking for (since I live in California). I'll keep looking for the text of
the law but I was hoping there was a single lawyer on this forum who might
tell us how to find the text of the law.