Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default UK DIYers clueless about tools

On Jul 23, 7:42 pm, Invisible Man wrote:
On 23/07/2010 08:23, Matty F wrote:

On Jul 23, 5:58 pm, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In ,
Matty wrote:

On Jul 23, 11:02 am, wrote:

48% of us own 10 or less tools, which is probably why some of
us have resorted to using our toothbrushes and even saucepans!"

I use a saucepan with my wireless modem. I bet nobody can guess why!

Focusing it to increase distance? Shielding to reduce interference from
next door?

Building a microwave deathray with 500 focused netgears?

None of those. The saucepan is sometimes put over the entire modem.

To kill the wireless signal so the kids upstairs can't use it after bedtime?

When I decided to go all wired I was surprised there was no option for
turning the wireless signal off. Even with all the various protective
measures available set I was dubious as to whether some of the local
students might have found it a challenge to hack.

Wrong! He's downstairs!
When he's used up all my bandwidth and we are back on dialup speed,
the modem seems to give precedence to the wireless connection ahead of
the ethernet cable connection. So his Youtube download stops a quite
small jpg from arriving in my machine. But not with a saucepan over
the modem!