Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
jgar the jorrible jgar the jorrible is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in yourback yard in the open air question

On Jul 22, 2:18*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:16:45 -0700, Bill Murphy

wrote:
But I don't think we have been able to answer the second question:
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I'm searching the California codes as we speak and can't find anything
telling me how many 5-gallon gas jugs we can carry in the trunk of a car:
http://law.justia.com/california/codes/veh.html

How many times in the last 20 years or so has a police officer asked
if you were carrying to many gallons of gas in the trunk?

None I bet. Cal DOT is not out there on the roads trying to capture
you.

Moonshine haulin' is another story.

This is the kind of thing I think of when I see Swedish police (or
whoever that was) using a harpoon into the trunk to stop cars. Oh
sorry, Finland: http://www.jewishworldreview.com/dave/barry012207.php3

During the first gas crisis, my brother bought a truckload of 6 gallon
containers, which we filled and kept for his business in a shed
attached to the back of the building. It was in a commercial building
next to an elementary school that backed up to an apartment complex
carport. A few years later, some drug dealers bombed a car in the
carport, burning down the shed. Or so I was told. I still use one.
Container that is.

When I was in college, I remember a professor died and they had to
call in a bomb squad robot when they found some old reagent grade
peroxide on a shelf. It seems some materials form long, unstable
chains when left standing for a long time, becoming extremely
explosive like the old cartoon nitroglycerin. Gas just turns to
varnish, I can tell you from experience.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-weapons-cash/