Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Steve B wrote:
"Bill Murphy" wrote

We all know that there are plenty of dangerous things we keep around
our house (I have 1,000 gallons of propane in a tank ten feet away
from the house, for example), and gasoline in portable storage
containers is one of those things nearly every one of us has in our
garage or shed.

In my state, and I think they quoted me federal law, you can have no
more than a 125 gallon tank within close range to a structure. That
is why the tanks are 124 gallons. I know, I went to buy one on a
kitchen remodel. That is why we did not go with the big tank -
distance. If you have that much stored that close, you are in
violation. You should check on that before a concerned neighbor does.

every house in my neighborhood has one larger than 125 quite close to the
house (there is no nat gas in the area and it's out in the sticks). i have a
500g tank buried about 20ft from my garage. it was inspected by both the
town and fire dept when the house was built.