Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

LM wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:27:08 -0700, Steve B wrote:
But you said containers of less than five gallons storage.
What about transport? You say nothing about that.

I'm trying. I'm trying.

My husband fills my car with gas all the time from Costo runs he
makes with his car. He fills up his sedan plus four five-gallon cans
at the Costco pump. The advantage is he waits on line once but gets
to fill up two cars. The advantage to me is I never ever have to fill
my gas.

So I'm also interested in the law. The Costco gas attendant can't
possibly not be seeing him do this for years. They never say
anything. Neither has anyone else. You'd think a cop or two would
have been on line waiting at some point or another. Or the trucker
who fills up the huge gas tanks would mention something.

Looking for the law, I scoured the Caltrans (fancy name for the
California DOT) web site for hours. I can't find a single document
that says what the law is for transport of gasoline in portable
storage containers for personal use.

I'll keep looking. It frustates me that something so simple is so
hard to find the law for.

i suppose you could devolve to an old fashioned method. do you have a phone?
perhaps you could call them up.

frankly, if it's not a citable law, they can't write a ticket for it, making
the limit be...as much as you want.

there really isn't a law or regulation for everything, even though it
sometimes seems so.