Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
LM[_3_] LM[_3_] is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:45:00 -0700, Steve B wrote:

You cited about 5 gallon containers for handling.
Nothing stated there about storage.

I'm trying. I really am. I want to know myself what the law is.

I gave up on the California DOT (aka Caltrans) web site as its search
mechanism is a mess.

I googled for "California law gasoline portable storage container
transportation and storage"

It's really hard to find the law on storage and transportation of 5-gallon
gasoline containers!

This PDF, for example, titled "Portable Storage Containers"
(http://groups.ucanr.org/ehs/files/54035.pdf ) is typical in that it gives
suggestions, but, only one law is mentioned related to storage, and it
isn't what we're looking for (we're looking for a volume limitation).

It says "A safety can made of a heavy-gauge metal and having a cap that
automatically closes to prevent a spill if the can is dropped or tipped
over is required, under California Code of Regulations Title 8, Section
3319, for storing flammable liquids like gasoline."

So, I'm still looking for any California law that covers:
- How many gallons (if any limit exists) you can carry in your trunk
- How many gallons (if any limit exists) you can store 'along a fence'

We all know you can carry gas in your trunk; and you can leave it along
your fence; the only question is whether or not there is a legal volume
limit.