Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
LM[_3_] LM[_3_] is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:27:08 -0700, Steve B wrote:
But you said containers of less than five gallons storage.
What about transport? You say nothing about that.

I'm trying. I'm trying.

My husband fills my car with gas all the time from Costo runs he makes with
his car. He fills up his sedan plus four five-gallon cans at the Costco
pump. The advantage is he waits on line once but gets to fill up two cars.
The advantage to me is I never ever have to fill my gas.

So I'm also interested in the law. The Costco gas attendant can't possibly
not be seeing him do this for years. They never say anything. Neither has
anyone else. You'd think a cop or two would have been on line waiting at
some point or another. Or the trucker who fills up the huge gas tanks would
mention something.

Looking for the law, I scoured the Caltrans (fancy name for the California
DOT) web site for hours. I can't find a single document that says what the
law is for transport of gasoline in portable storage containers for
personal use.

I'll keep looking. It frustates me that something so simple is so hard to
find the law for.