Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 10:50:22 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:
-snip-

Don't know about storage. Others are citing rules.
I keep plastic 5 gallon, 2 gallon and 1 gallon containers in my
garage, tucked away under the workbench.

Just curious-- Do you ever weld, solder, grind, hammer metallic
things, or use power tools at that workbench?

Good point. Only thing you mentioned is I do have my bench grinder at
the end of that bench.
That bench is really 8' x 1 "x 6" boards I tied into the studs with 3
1" x 4" supports cut with 45 degree miters from the studs to the outer
edges providing support. Extra lumber I had around.
Real strong and open underneath except for the 3 angled supports.
Good place to roll my floor jack out of the way, store jack stands and
those jugs.
Sparks shouldn't get near the gas jugs, but now that you've mentioned
it, I could get them away from there, and will.
Thanks.
But I'm not moving my kerosene jugs!

I keep a 10-20 gallons gas in my garage, too-- but it is in a no-work
zone between two garage doors. Even at that I think I would be smart
to move it to its own little shed.

I feel pretty much the same, but never smelled fumes, and the jugs
have never popped a vent open.
Now you've got me thinking that getting a little shed would be a good
idea.

--Vic