Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:48:01 +0000 (UTC), Judy Zappacosta
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:37:35 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Of course, unless you load up ten 5-gallon jugs with gas and stack
them in the back of the minivan with the kids, in front of a cop,
Unless you ADVERTISE that you're doing something illegal, nobody is
going to know you're doing something illegal...

But how do you get the clandestine 5 five gallon gas cans into the trunk at
the gas station without anyone seeing you?

Don't know about storage. Others are citing rules.
I keep plastic 5 gallon, 2 gallon and 1 gallon containers in my
garage, tucked away under the workbench. One of each.
The 2 gallon is for filling the lawn mower.
Easy to handle and not spill gas.
The 1 gallon has the 2-cycle mix for the weed whacker.
The 5 gallon only comes out to replenish the others.
As to your question, the simple answer is one at a time.
No reason you have to transport all the gas at once.
Though I don't see moving 4 5-gallons jugs in the trunk as an issue if
they are reasonably secured and you don't travel far.
But I'm less than half a mile from a gas station.
If I had to travel more than a couple miles I'd probably carry one at
a time.
When I do the yearly half-mile trip with my 3 jugs it's a dedicated
trip and I'm aware of what's in the trunk the entire time.

--Vic