Posted to alt.home.repair
Orak Listalavostok Orak Listalavostok is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:28:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
It's been PROVEN time and again that those "gasoline explosions" you
see in movies are not realistic. They are staged using pyrotechnics.

I'm sure fuel ignites, eventually, but I remember a MythBusters episode
where they just couldn't get gasoline to light from a cigarette (IIRC).

OK. I looked it up. MythBusters Holleywood on Trial #7:
It is possible to ignite a pool of gasoline using only a cigarette.

partly plausible

A cigarette has the potential to light a pool of gasoline but just doesnąt
have enough sustained heat. Gas ignites between 500 °F and 540 °F, the
cigarette at its hottest was between 450 °F and 500 °F but only when it was
actually being smoked. An ignition is very improbable.