Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
mm mm is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 18:52:50 -0500, Jim Rusling
wrote:

Roy wrote:

snip
Bull****...the neighbor has legitimate concerns. 20 gallons of
gasoline in jerry cans stored in a trunk of a car is NOT safe. If

Absolutely. AFA the neighbor and I know, these could blow up and send
shrapnel all over his yard. If that's possible, the OP should know it
too, and if it's not, the OP shoould be able to relay this info to the
neighbor. He'd be a fool not to raise the subject.

stored in a locked garden shed isolated from all buildings or fences
it would be much safer but not ideal. Residential areas are not
designed for the storage of volatile liquids especially in the
quantities mentioned. I would not store more than 2 gallons at the
most...this would be adequate for lawnmower and weedeater usage.
People who do what THEY want and disregard OTHERS are just selfish
jerks. I have lived next to these kinds of people in the past and
believe me, it is no picnic.

My gas mowers, edger's, generator, and so on probably hold more than
30 gallons. I normally keep 15 to 25 gallons on hand all the time to
feed all of those small engines. Most of my gas engines have 2 to 5
gallon gas tanks.

But those are are all little, separate tanks, vented gas tanks. If one
goes, it won't take the others with it (except in action movies).