Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
chuckcar chuckcar is offline

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Bill Murphy wrote in
:

I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
off-road vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Do they have vent holes and/or pour spouts? If so, take the spouts out
and loosen take off the vent cap. I had a gas can (1 gallon for the
mower) that I didn't do that when I got gas at the beginning of the
year. Once it warmed up, the vapour pressure forced the gas out the top
even though it was tightly sealed. There was a gasoline smell for two
days and it could easily have lit from open flame. If your neighbour had
smelled that.. Well who wants the fire dept. and city on their tail?

BTW I live in Ontario on the other side of the border. Far farther north than
you, so less heat and different laws. We have red plastic cans here.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )