Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Making a ZCI for tablesaw

On 7/21/10 3:09 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 7/21/10 12:43 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
On 7/20/10 4:50 PM, Larry W wrote:
An old tip for leveling ZCI I first saw on this newsgroup,
but can't remember who to credit: Just put a blob of hot-melt
glue at the correct spots on the bottom of the insert, press down
into saw so it's just above flush, then hit the blobs with a block
plane or sandpaper if necessary.

That's an awesome idea.
Instead of sanding, I guess I would try using a couple rulers or other
straight edges to push it down flush and hold a few seconds while the
glue dries.

If it didn't work the first time, you just pop off the hot glue nubs and
try again.

Might want to rethink that, it will essentually glue your insert in
place.
Put the globs of glue on the insert and then sand the globs to proper
thickness after they harden.

The hot glue I've always used is pretty easy to pop off.

Yeah it pops off easy.... but it is glue, right? And you are going to apply
it and squeeze it between an insert and the table saw tabs, and then how do
you pop it off if it has glued your insert in place?

AFAIK, we're talking about drops of hot glue on 4 flanges. In a way they
are like the little rubber feet you might find on the bottom of a lamp.

You mark where the tabs are on the insert, or you squeeze a drop on each
tab/flange.
Press the insert down with a straight edge so it stops flush with the
table top. It'll dry in 20 seconds.

Here's another idea. Put a piece of scotch tape on each flange, before
this procedure. Glue dries to the insert and not the flanges.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--