Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Stick ceramic tiles straight onto thinnish plasterboard?

AL_z wrote:
I'm installing a new bathroom in my house. One of the jobs is to tile
the walls adjacent to the bath, as I'm going to install a shower
attachment.

One of the walls seems to be made of thin (8mm or 10mm?)
plasterboard. On that wall, I'll be fixing a shower attachment
holder. Is it OK to stick the tiles directly onto the plasterboard?
Or should I face the plasterboard with say chipboard first, to
increase the rigidity and strength?

Also, should I use a special waterproof adhesive and waterproof grout
with the tiles, or is the regular stuff considered OK for shower
areas?

The tiles I bought are 300 x 250mm granite effect tiles which are
almost twice as thick as the average small 150mm square wall tiles.
So they do have a lot of rigidity and strength of theor own.

Thanks...

Al

Any wall that is likely to have much moisture on it, IE in a sower enclosure
or over a bath, needs to be boarded with aquapanel.
Microscopic holes in the grout allow water to penetrate into plasterboard
which very quickly disintegrate, regardless of which adhesive/grout you use

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008