Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Stick ceramic tiles straight onto thinnish plasterboard?

On Jul 21, 5:13*pm, "AL_z" wrote:

I'm installing a new bathroom in my house. One of the jobs is to tile the
walls adjacent to the bath, as I'm going to install a shower attachment.

One of the walls seems to be made of thin (8mm or 10mm?) plasterboard. On
that wall, I'll be fixing a shower attachment holder. Is it OK to stick the
tiles directly onto the plasterboard?

if you dont mind them popping off en masse

Or should I face the plasterboard
with say chipboard first, to increase the rigidity and strength?

Also, should I use a special waterproof adhesive and waterproof grout with
the tiles, or is the regular stuff considered OK for shower areas?

waterproof for sure, and if you just use green chip then adhesive that
can handle flexing. Sounds like the sort of installation I dont like
though.

The tiles I bought are 300 x 250mm granite effect tiles which are almost
twice as thick as the average small 150mm square wall tiles. So they do
have a lot of rigidity and strength of theor own.

Thanks...

Al

even more vulnerable to board flexing then.

With crappy boarding like that it may be lightweight framing as well,
so you might want to remove the PB and sort the thing out properly.

NT