Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Refinishing furniture

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Do you consider that easier than wiping the surface with a dampened rag?

OK, I shouldn't have said "everyone". I was referring to those who
said strip it to bare wood, coat(s) of shellac, a primer, oil paint,
etc. I meant just fricking paint it.

Also not sure about someones comment about not being able to sand
latex. I do it all the time on my distressed pine furniture and she
looks beautiful.

One more thing concerning that, looking at your pieces I suspect that the
latex paint that you are sanding is on bare wood. I have painted a lot of
homes and do run into problems with trim if it has been repainted
previousely with latex. It will indeed crumble and roll up into small balls
as it typically does not adheared well to the previous coat. That is all to
do with using the wrong preperation in the first place.

That said latex paint on a properly prepaired surface or one with no other
previous finish tends to sand well as you have stated.