Posted to rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi[_2_] Luigi Zanasi[_2_] is offline

Default Making a ZCI for tablesaw

On Jul 19, 6:53*pm, "
wrote:
You know, sometimes the most simplest thing turns into
analysis paralysis.

Want to *make ZCI insert for my JWTS-10 Jet. I bought a ZCI some
time ago and I measured the thickness - 3/8". I measured the one
on the JET, same and just for fun, I measured from the leveling
flange to the top of the saw 3/8".

However, when I go looking for instructions, most are calling for
1/2" ply or phenolic. The differences in thickness are usually
handled by rabbeting the ZCI so it sits flush.

To me, it sounds like 1) another router set up after I
already mount the flush bit to trim the blank 2) more time.

Why wouldn't you just use 3/8" ply or phenolic to make
a ZCI, trim it, drill for leveling screws and be done? I just
don't know why 1/2 material would be that much better?

I've been looking at what's out there for sale in the already
made category and Leecraft has a minor sale on at Woodcraft
(I think).

Does anyone have a JWTS-10 and purchased a Leecraft ZCI?
If so, do they undercut (rabbet) around the edge to fit in the throat?
Meaning, is it 1/2" thick?

Cheez, you'd think this would be so easy. Woodcraft has a sale
coming up this weekend, so I thought I'd grab the necessary
material to "roll my own", but now I'm just caught in my
own analysis paralysis. Somebody help me to reboot!

Just get some 3/8 material: ply, Baltic birch, Plexiglas, phenolic,
lexan, melamine covered termite puke, medium density termite puke,
aluminium, whatever & go for it. It's not as it needs to bear a lot of
weight.

Luigi