Big Tim

Default CCTV Video Capture

BigWallop wrote:

"Big Tim" Use.the.reply.to@address wrote in message
.. .
Tydraig wrote:

snip PC setups

The Coach Lantern seems like a good idea for illumination and maybe a
front door camera. I noticed last night that the light I have at the
front to light my way home is behind me when I get to the door and so
I'm casting a shadow on the front door. So if I had a peephole camera
in the door, I wouldn't be able to see a face because of the
backlighting.

Time to do some more research I think.

Again, thanks for the info.

Big Tim

Starting to talk about backlight compensation now. Boy, your learning fast
BT. :-))

LOL

I'm pretty smart, honest :-)

I looked at the stuff in B&Q *ages* ago because I fancied CCTV because
I'm a bit of a sucker for gadgets. At the time I justified my
interest because I wanted to protect the bikes in the garage.
However, I didn't like the "packaged" solution that the sheds do and
so put that Project aside.

I got burgled a while ago, so I decided that the Alarm project and
CCTV project needed to be resurected. I did quite a lot of research
into the alarms and sensors and stuff. You have to put yourself into
the position of trying to break into your own home and it can be quite
surprising what you find. But somehow the CCTV project got shelved
again.

I'm now "resting" and want to finish off the TV Project. As I'd
thought about piping the CCTV through all the TVs when I'd sorted the
signal distribution it was time to resurect the CCTV project again.

So when I started this thread I knew I was going to implementing a PC
based solution (I've about 5 or 6 knocking about), which is why I
wanted sources of cards because they seem so hard to find. Although I
Googled I'm finding that it doesn't find stuff on the big sites that
have a "catalogue". So, maybe Maplins have what I want, but googleing
doesn't work.

Anyway, because of what's been suggested and what I read I'm now
paying much more attention to where I'd site the cameras, what light
levels would be available for each site, etc. Like you've already
said about IR, if the picture's rubbish then you'll not catch anyone.

My Plan at the moment is to have to front door / front approach
covered by one camera. So that anyone coming to the house will be
seen. That could be a lantern thing which will also provide "fill in"
light. Camera 2 will be at the side of the house looking down the
drive to the street to see anyone coming round the back of the house
from the road. This will face south and so I have a problem with a
low sun from now until March. Although I could have it up high and
covering an birds eye view of the drive/side of the house. One in the
garage. One in the kitchen, so that if someone gets in the back door
it's mugshot time. Also one behind the front door for the same
reason.

I haven't got a solution to the illumination for in the house yet.
During the day (when I got turned over) there is enough light, but
obviously at night it's dark :-). I'm mulling over the idea of having
"emergency" lighting that comes on with the Alarm PIRs or something.
That is something like some picture lights or other subdued/mood
lighting that come on, but there's no obvious switch to them.

I also want to be able to wire the landing light so that it comes on
when I walk along the landing to the bathroom in the middle of the
night, but that's another Project.

A problem I have is that I have no connections to the Electrical trade
and so am using the Web and Newsgroups to research and then to try and
locate the kit. It takes time.

What I thought I'd do is to document the "fun" I have and either post
it to the group and stick it on a website and post a link. Obvious
security issues censored of course.

--
Big Tim
RD400E, Bandit 12, XR400R (in length of service order)