Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default continous tile flooring

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 07:20:43 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

basilisk wrote:
I'm considering building a whelping house for my dogs
and the flooring solution needs to offer easy clean up
and be bullet proof durable.

Think crap, ****, afterbirth, blood and vomit from
one wall to the other, plus all the clawing and chewing
a confined dog can do.

One option is ceramic with a splash up the wall, but I
perfer something that wasn't inherently so cold.
Latched on, nursing puppies get drug out of the
whelping box and chill quickly.

I have seen continous vinyl floor used in hospital
hallways that ran up the wall several inches on either
side with radiused corners. Is the flooring made this
way or is it laid against a form built into the wall?

basilisk

I've buily two of them to use as cycloramas for photography.

The first was about 50 years ago. I built a wood frame and bent masonite to
it. Fine for me, no good for you, too great a radius.

The second time I just ran mortar along the wall and stuck it off. Worked
fine, radius was about the size of a softball.

I think you and Nova are right, the material to mortar in a radius
will be cheap and won't take long to do.

At 9.5 feet wide I can extend the sheet flooring about 16 inches
up the wall, which is a good 8 inches taller than a corgis butt,
all the waste should wind up where it can be mopped.

Walls are going to be 3/8 plywood overlaid with 1/8 melamine
hardboard, should be very durable and sanitary.

basilisk