Posted to uk.d-i-y
Luke Luke is offline

Default Flush-fitting Gas Meter Box

Hi all,
Following on from my thread regarding gas boiler sizing, I now have a
question about installing a gas meter box.

When I requested a quote for the provision of a new gas supply, I
requested a flush-fitting meter box, which is recessed into the wall,
so it doesn't protrude 25cm into the driveway. However, it requires a
cutout 366mm W * 532mm H * 160mm D. If a flush-fitting box is
specified, then this must be installed by the homeowner prior to the
pipe being laid.

I am not fussed about the height element, but in hindsight I am
concerned about cutting a hole 366mm wide in the brickwork, in case it
has any structural ramifications. The wall is a cavity wall, brick
construction both sides, with render on the outside.

Will I need to reinforce the hole over its span in any way? Or is this
impossible to tell without consulting a structural engineer?

Thanks
Luke