Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Refinishing furniture

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"John" wrote in message
We have an old piece of furniture that my wife wants to refinish white
for my daughter's room. The piece is a maple piece varnished with a
gloss finish (but finishes are my weak point so I can't tell if it's
an oil based varnish or not...).

Strip the finish, sand, put a light stain if desired, then refinish with
multiple coats of polyurethane, cure four weeks, wet sand, rottenstone,
pumice, wax. It will be a lovely piece of furniture rather than a cheap
looking white piece.

...snipped...

If SWMBO said paint it white, then paint it white. Less work for you, in
this case, too.