Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner Steve Turner is offline

Default HF Variable Speed Multi-Tool -- Soft Start?

On 07/19/2010 10:40 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
I picked up one of these for $49.95 yesterday. When I got it home I
was surprised that it seems to have a soft-start function. The box
and instruction manual do not mention it; but there is a brief pause
when I turn it on and then it comes up to speed smoothly, similar to a
soft start router.

Normal?

RonB

Could be an under powered motor struggling to come up to speed. If that
tends to go away with use things may have been too tight for the motor. I
really can not see a need for a soft start.

Unless the motor is rather gutless and has no significant torque, I appreciate a soft start
feature in any hand-held power tool where the start-up torque might cause the tool to wrench
and twist in my hand. I don't like surprises.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.