Greg G.

Default Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1

YJJim said:

Well, I finally remembered to look at the lockout slide that is
supposed to keep you from changing bits while the power is on. I
don't know if mine is broken or if it is supposed to work this way.
When I raise the router to its highest position using the above the
table tool, it locks the collet fine. When I take the router out of
the table and do it by hand, the lock seems to work. I can force the
router past the lock, but it is hard by hand. When using the above
the table tool, it happens easily. It looks like the added torque of
the tool allows it to force the locking pin past the lockout slide.
However, the slide does not appear to be "broken", but rather just
takes a lot of force to push the pin through the slide.

That said, maybe I did break it the first time I tried to raise it all
the way up? Does anyone know if this is supposed to happen? Is this
a safety risk that I should be concerned about? Should I consider
taking it back? Personally, I like the way it works for me right now,
but I'm concerned that it will get more loose over time and the
lockout won't work at all. Is that likely a real issue on the fixed
base? Since I wouldn't be adjusting the height while running the
motor, I'm not sure this could be a real safety concern.

YJJim

I wouldn't worry about it - it's a dumb design anyway. I considered
cutting the end of the plastic slide off myself. I think I have
enough sense not to raise the router up till the pin locks with the
power on - besides, it probably wouldn't lock anyway, only make a
horrible sound... If you really forced it, it might lock - or break
off the pin housing...
FWIW,

Greg G.