Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a 4.5V/ .8mA wall wart with this CD player?

On 7/19/2010 12:52 PM BCDrums spake thus:

On Jul 19, 1:44 pm, professorpaul wrote:

On Jul 19, 1:37 pm, BCDrums wrote:

I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

I think you slipped a decimal point. Likely 800 Milliampres = 0.8
AMPS!

Check that the polarity and size of the wall wart are the SAME.

You should be Ok.

Whoops! It is in fact .8A. So I'm good to go? The pin polarity is the
same- pin is positive, sleeve is negative.

Yes. The figure 0.8A is the amount of *current* the wall wart can supply
(*please* don't use that ignorant term "amperage"!). The rule is this:
as long as the power supply (wall wart) can supply *at least* as much
current as the device (CD player) requires, preferably more, you're good
to go. (Assuming it's the correct voltage, of course.)

If you think a power supply is big enough but aren't sure, what you can
do is to run the device and carefully monitor the power supply to make
sure it doesn't get too hot. When a power supply is overloaded (device
wants more current than it can supply), it will overheat, and other bad
things can happen then.