Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I use a 4.5V/ .8mA wall wart with this CD player?

I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 12:37*pm, BCDrums wrote:
I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

0.8 amps or 0.8 milliamps (ma)? If 0.8 ma. , no way that is a
fraciton of 500 ma.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , BCDrums wrote:
I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

That depends. Do you mean 0.8 A instead of 0.8 mA?

If so, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 1:37*pm, BCDrums wrote:
I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

I think you slipped a decimal point. Likely 800 Milliampres = 0.8
AMPS!

Check that the polarity and size of the wall wart are the SAME.

You should be Ok.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 1:44*pm, professorpaul wrote:
On Jul 19, 1:37*pm, BCDrums wrote:

I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

I think you slipped a decimal point. Likely 800 Milliampres = 0.8
AMPS!

Check that the polarity and size of the wall wart are the SAME.

You should be Ok.

Whoops! It is in fact .8A. So I'm good to go? The pin polarity is the
same- pin is positive, sleeve is negative.

BC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2010 12:52 PM BCDrums spake thus:

On Jul 19, 1:44 pm, professorpaul wrote:

On Jul 19, 1:37 pm, BCDrums wrote:

I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

I think you slipped a decimal point. Likely 800 Milliampres = 0.8
AMPS!

Check that the polarity and size of the wall wart are the SAME.

You should be Ok.

Whoops! It is in fact .8A. So I'm good to go? The pin polarity is the
same- pin is positive, sleeve is negative.

Yes. The figure 0.8A is the amount of *current* the wall wart can supply
(*please* don't use that ignorant term "amperage"!). The rule is this:
as long as the power supply (wall wart) can supply *at least* as much
current as the device (CD player) requires, preferably more, you're good
to go. (Assuming it's the correct voltage, of course.)

If you think a power supply is big enough but aren't sure, what you can
do is to run the device and carefully monitor the power supply to make
sure it doesn't get too hot. When a power supply is overloaded (device
wants more current than it can supply), it will overheat, and other bad
things can happen then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 12:37 pm, BCDrums wrote:
I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

Andy comments:

It depends. You can test a dozen different "4.5 volt" wall warts
and have a dozen different open circuit voltages and a dozen
different internal resistances.
A wall wart is designed for a particular product that has a certain
load draw, and, typically, one get a LOT higher voltage than 4.5
when unloaded and approx 4.5 volts when loaded by the intended
device.

It has everything to do with the internal resistance of the wall
wart.

For instance, suppose the intended load is 1 amp and the
wall wart, unloaded, puts out 12 volts with an internal resistance
of 7.5 ohms. If this supplies a device that draws 1amp, there
will be a terminal voltage of 4.5 volts. If it drives a device that
draws only 100ma, the terminal voltage will be 11.25 volts.

Depending on the voltage rating of the device the wall wart
is driving, something like this could break down an internal
capacitor or transistor....

So you see, it just depends........

Here's how to find out, in your case. :

Connect three D cells, which provide 4.5 volts, and hook it to
the device and measure the current drawn. Then use Ohm's
Law to determine the load resistance the device provides.

THEN take a resistor of this value and connect it to the
wall wart in question. If the loaded voltage is around 4.5 volts
with the resistor, that means it will be 4.5 volts with the device
you want to power.....

One caveat , tho.... the device you want to power probably draws
different currents depending on whether a motor is running or
stopped, or the audio is cranked up high or not. That could cause
the terminal voltage to go up and down..... since the load is
not constant.....

So you see, your wall wart MIGHT work OK, or it might blow out some
part in the device powered. That is why wall warts are generally
mated
to the device being powered. It is very unusual for a wall wart to
have
an internal voltage regulator to supply the same voltage independent
of load. If the one you want to use actually does have an internal
voltage regulator, you are all set.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas Licensed EE and
retired design engineer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/19/2010 12:52 PM BCDrums spake thus:

Yes. The figure 0.8A is the amount of *current* the wall wart can supply
(*please* don't use that ignorant term "amperage"!). The rule is this: as
long as the power supply (wall wart) can supply *at least* as much current
as the device (CD player) requires, preferably more, you're good to go.
(Assuming it's the correct voltage, of course.)

Now David, don't be too harsh. I was brought up as you were with the
educators who were trying to educate me insisting that there was no such
word as "amperage"

Not trusting the online sources I went to my copy of Webster's International
Dictionary. Not only did it define "amperage", it claimed it was dated from
1890 to 1895. I even used a little magnifier to be sure that it was not
listed as slang, archic, or argot. I also verified that the usage dated back
over a century an was not a modern contrivance.

I was going to check further with my good friend Tom Edison but he was busy
arguing with that foreign guy Tesla.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Andy is correct on all counts. You will find a slightly higher voltage from
the new wall wart because of a lower current draw than it was designed
for.WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 10:37:05 -0700 (PDT), BCDrums
wrote:

I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

Definitely no problem. any 4.5 volt power supply capable of supplying
500ma OR MORE will do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:52:44 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

[...]

The interesting thing is, most of these units that use a 4.5 volt
power supply run on 2 AA batteries - which is only 3 volts. There is a
voltage regulator built in to reduce the "unregulated" 4.5 to the
required 3 volts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
wrote in message
On Jul 19, 12:37 pm, wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Depending on what type of circuit in the wall art.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 5:48*pm, "WW" wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message

[...]

I am grateful for all these knowledgeable responses.

The device to be driven by the wall wart is a Jensen CD player. It is
supposed to be run with two AA batteries. It is a gift. My six-disc CD
changer died some years ago, and I replaced it with a Panasonic
portable CD player from the '90s that was in a drawer. It had a line
out as well as a headphone jack. It died in '09.

My lovely bride picked up the Jensen for $22 at Target, just to have
something to play CDs on through the living room stereo. I don't want
a battery-driven device, and the Jensen does have an input for a DC
transformer, with the specs as listed previously. The transformer for
the Panasonic player is still there, thought I'd give it a try. If it
works, I will be happy. If it kills the Jensen, oh well. if it burns
down the house, no good! There is no compatible transformer offered
for the Jensen, by the way. What is the point of a $22 CD player if
the power adapter costs as much or more?

I will give it a try and keep an eye on both units for an hour and see
what happens.

BC
transformed

BC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2010 5:00 PM BCDrums spake thus:

[...]

So long as the device is labeled as having a diet of 4.5 volts (you told
us this, so I'm assuming this is correct), and the power supply supplies
this *nominal*[1] voltage, it won't kill the CD player or burn down the
house.

I will give it a try and keep an eye on both units for an hour and see
what happens.

Good plan.

[1] "Nominal" meaning what's printed on the wall wart, even if it does
deliver some higher voltage with no load, which it will undoubtedly do,
since it is no doubt an unregulated power supply. There is some leeway here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A note...the Panasonic portable player the Jensen replaces used three
AA batts, for a total of 4.5V. But yes, the Jensen says two AAs.

BC
low voltage

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:24:07 -0400, Charlie wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/19/2010 12:52 PM BCDrums spake thus:

Yes. The figure 0.8A is the amount of *current* the wall wart can
supply (*please* don't use that ignorant term "amperage"!). The rule is
this: as long as the power supply (wall wart) can supply *at least* as
much current as the device (CD player) requires, preferably more,
you're good to go. (Assuming it's the correct voltage, of course.)

Now David, don't be too harsh. I was brought up as you were with the
educators who were trying to educate me insisting that there was no such
word as "amperage"

[snip]

In the same way, there's no such word as "voltage". It's EMF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 1:15*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*David Nebenzahl wrote:

[1] "Nominal" meaning what's printed on the wall wart, even if it does
deliver some higher voltage with no load, which it will undoubtedly do,
since it is no doubt an unregulated power supply.

Wall warts are switching power supplies these days, David.

For the record, this power supply is from 1995.

BC
unregulated
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should work fine, if the plug is the same size. The amp rating of the
plug just means the power available. Since your appliances uses less,
it will, well, use less.

Example is plugging a 100 watt (0.1 amp) light bulb into a 20 amp
branch circuit. Works fine, and uses 0.1 amps.

Mr. Answer is always here for you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"BCDrums" wrote in message
I have a Jensen CD 60 ortable CD player that came without a power
supply. It calls for a 4.5V/500mA adapter. I have a 4.5V .8mA
adpapter, and the pin polarity matches. Can I use it with the Jensen?

Thanks.

BC
adapted

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Jul 2010 02:48:59 GMT, unknown wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 17:24:07 -0400, Charlie wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 7/19/2010 12:52 PM BCDrums spake thus:

Yes. The figure 0.8A is the amount of *current* the wall wart can
supply (*please* don't use that ignorant term "amperage"!). The rule is
this: as long as the power supply (wall wart) can supply *at least* as
much current as the device (CD player) requires, preferably more,
you're good to go. (Assuming it's the correct voltage, of course.)

Now David, don't be too harsh. I was brought up as you were with the
educators who were trying to educate me insisting that there was no such
word as "amperage"

[snip]

In the same way, there's no such word as "voltage". It's EMF.

If you want to be totally correct it is electromotive force. EMF is
just an abrieviation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:15:58 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[1] "Nominal" meaning what's printed on the wall wart, even if it does
deliver some higher voltage with no load, which it will undoubtedly do,
since it is no doubt an unregulated power supply.

Wall warts are switching power supplies these days, David.

The good ones are - but the one that came with his old Panasonic most
likely is not (mine isn't)
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to BCDrums, Cooper wrote:
what did you finally get that works?
I bought that CD player & have had no luck with the adaptors I tried & have
service people try.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-454203-.htm

Wall wart in a box The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 November 9th 09 07:34 PM
Wall-wart issues Lobster UK diy 10 December 27th 08 06:48 PM
Wall Wart Tidy The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 January 19th 07 10:45 AM
AT&T 962 speakerphone wall wart jakdedert Electronics Repair 3 January 4th 07 04:55 AM
How do I find 12v dc wall wart? rppb Electronics 6 November 20th 06 11:28 AM